Friday, April 27, 2012

What's in your Fridge and taking kids to the bar

I went to the grocery store (Kroger) a few days ago. I hate putting things away. I hate putting away laundry, dishes, papers, and groceries! But after I put the groceries away, I couldn't help stare in my fridge. It is just beautiful. I love seeing all the colors and options. It all looks so yummy. I just want to eat it all on the first day. I thought I would take a picture for all of you. I have been winding up the end of my last semester of my PhD classes (now it is time to start on my dissertation), and I am planning two trainings for work, so I haven't had much time to post on the blog this week. I thought this would be a fun post.


Can you spot the non-vegan item? Oh I'll just tell you and get it out of the way. There is country crock. Remember a few weeks ago I posted about the margarine I thought was vegan not being vegan . . . there it is! I just haven't gotten rid of it, but we don't eat it (you will notice it is right by the Earth Balance). 

So what is all that stuff? Here is a breakdown:

Top Right Shelf: In the containers: Kohlrabi. Homemade sunflower seed butter. whole wheat cous cous. 
Top Left Shelf: White miso. Earth Balance. The dreaded country crock (which is on its way out).
Middle Shelf: Green leafy lettuce, hummus, avocados, sprouts, romaine, red grapes, mushrooms, strawberries, spaghetti squash, watermelon, pineapple, blueberries, almond milk.
bottom shelf: lemons, corn, swiss chard, tomatoes, green grapes, pita bread, corn tortillas, whole wheat wraps.
Open drawer: orange tomato, yellow tomato, yellow pepper, red pepper, tomato, cucumbers zucchini. 
Closed drawers: radishes, green onions, ginger, cilantro, onions, carrots.

And doesn't it look delicious. 




So, my kids are obsessed with going to the food bar. We do salad bars and potato bars. And after the grocery store, I was so irritated and tired, and I just wanted something quick to eat. We decided to just do a pasta bar. 

On the pasta bar, we had whole wheat pasta, cherry tomatoes, carrots, green onions, zucchini, and yellow bell pepper. We had edamame on the side. Quick and easy. 

So the next day, I had a terrible stomach flu. My kids had it the day before, then I was hit with it. So, again, I just wanted to cook something easy. I know I am going to be scolded for my next meal, but scold away. It was delicious. 


We had basmati rice (scolding because it isn't brown, but basmati is so yummo and our neighbors from India from India gave it to me as a gift). Northern beans and Swiss Chard with sliced cucumbers and lemon pepper. It was so good. 

Both meals took about 20 minutes (only because rice and pasta have cook times) to get on the table. They were both so delicious. I loved them. The kids loved them. I guess I felt pretty good to have a beautiful fridge and a beautiful plate. 

So, what's in your fridge?


No comments: