Saturday, April 14, 2012

My obsession with Oreos pays off: New Frosting Recipe

I know, I know . . . I'm obsessed with Oreos. Who wouldn't be? They are delicious, processed, vegan, little treats of delight. What more could you ask for? They are the one treat that we usually keep in the house. A pack lasts me and the three girls about two weeks. What makes Oreos so delicious? Why vegetable shortening of course. So, when my frosting failed miserably a few weeks ago, I thought, "Self." Because, you know I do call myself, self. I thought, "Self, wouldn't it be awesome if you could make frosting that tastes like Oreos?" Why, yes, self, yes, it would.

So, I made that my mission. For my daughter's second, sixth birthday party this weekend, I decided to switch up my cupcake recipe and frosting recipe. The cupcake recipe was too crumbly, but the frosting was marvelous! So, I will stick with my old cupcake recipe, but the new Oreo frosting recipe.


Oreo Frosting Recipe

3 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup Earth Balance Margarine
1/4 cup Vegetable Shortening
1 tablespoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons Almond Milk (as needed)

In a bowl mix powdered sugar, margarine, shortening, and vanilla. With an electric mixer on low, start mixing the ingredients together. Add the milk slowly until the frosting reaches a creamy consistency. 

The is the first Vegan recipe that I developed all on my own. I hope you enjoy it!

No comments: