Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Shut the cheese up!

I don't have a photo, but I promise this recipe is amazing! I am going to steal a photo of something similar to give you an idea, but Cashew Cheese Queso Dip makes the world go round!

A few weeks ago (on Earth Day) we went to the Spiral Diner in Dallas, Texas. It is a Vegan restaurant. It is so yummy and wonderful. We had this dip platter that had a cashew based queso dip. My husband freaked out over it and wanted it. For weeks he talked about. So, I decided to take the plunge and try and try to recreate it at home.

I did some research online, and I couldn't find a recipe that I thought would not be too spicy. Plus all the recipes I found were WAY too complicated. I hate complicated recipes when they don't have to be. So, I went out on a limb and made my own. Oh my gosh, I was so nervous. But it turned out really well.

It should look something like this:


When my husband tasted my version, he said, "That's it! That's it!" He was so excited. We have a Vegan potluck coming up next week. I met a few young girls today at the Vegan Cafe who are going to attend. I thought I would whip up this queso because when you are young, you want a party dip, right?

I hope you try it and let me know how it turns out:

Shut the Cashew Queso Up!

  • 2 c. Cashews (you should soak these, because you should soak nuts when using them for nut cheese, but I didn't have time the other day, and my queso turned out fine).
  • 2 c. vegetable broth
  • 2 TBSP. white miso (white miso is mild and yummy plus it is the right color)
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 TBSP chili powder
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Juice of 1 lemon
Put the cashews, broth, miso, and cornstarch in the food processor and mix until smooth. This will probably take 5 minutes or so.

While the nuts are mixing, in a pan on medium/low heat saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender. 

After the nuts mixture is smooth, add the vegetables and remaining ingredients, mix until smooth, like queso.

Eat when warm. 







1 comment:

Crystal Gable said...

Can't wait to taste it!! I LOOOOVE Spiral Diner. I'm going again on Monday. They put the queso in their frito pie (if you're ever lucky enough to be there when it's the daily special). Madi had it and said it was the BEST frito pie she's ever eaten...